[Adapted from National Institutes of Health DASH recipes]
3 1/4 cups chicken breast, cooked, cubed, and skinless
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 Tbsp mayonnaise, low-fat
- Chill chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes-1 hour.
- In a large bowl combine the rest of ingredients
- Add chilled chicken and mix well.
- Low sodium: No salt added! Most foods naturally contain sodium (salt). Instead of adding salt, flavor the salad with onion powder, herbs, and lemon juice.
- Low fat: Use low-fat mayonnaise instead of full-fat mayo. For a lower fat version, forget the mayo. Replace it with plain no-fat or low-fat greek yogurt.
- Add Fruits and Vegetables: 1/4 cup of celery counts as one full serving of vegetables. Add others like broccoli, green peppers or carrots to get closer to your recommended 5-7 daily servings of fruits and veggies.
Makes 5 servings
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 77 mg
Sodium: 179 mg
Protein: 27 g
Carbohydrate: 2 g
Calcium: 16 mg
Magnesium: 25 mg
Potassium: 236 mg
Fiber: 0 g